Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total: 25 minutes| Servings: Enough to cover a 5.5 lb brisket
2 tablespoons smoked spicy paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
1/2 cup organic DARK honey (taste changes if you use light honey)
1/2 cup organic molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2-3 tablespoons high quality bourbon, or molasses-based rum
Optional: 2 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick
1. Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, vinegar, tomato paste, honey, molasses, brown sugar, and mustard powder to small sauce pan, or skillet.
2. On low to medium heat, slowly stir to combine ingredients.
Want to add depth of flavor? Add 2 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick to mixture before simmering.
3. Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat while constantly stirring until sauce begins to thicken. Reduce to medium-low heat, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat. Add the bourbon or rum and whisk, or stir, to combine.
5. Set aside to cool, and then pour into a sterilized glass bottle (not in a plastic container). Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.