IN THIS HOW-TO, WE SHOW YOU HOW TO MAKE YOUR VERY OWN WOOD-FIRED HOT TUB WITH SIMPLE MATERIALS YOU CAN GET RIGHT AT THE HARDWARE STORE. YOU’LL BE UP AND RUNNING IN JUST A COUPLE HOURS FOR ABOUT $200.
HOT WATER CAN CAUSE SCALDING AND EVEN DEATH. BE SURE TO MEASURE THE TEMPERATURE OF THE WATER BEFORE EXPOSING YOURSELF TO IT. IF WATER IS TOO HOT THEN EXTINGUISH FIRE AND LET WATER COOL
6’ GALVANIZED STOCK TANK
COILED COPPER TUBING
Video Used: 5/8” (the higher the Gauge the faster your tub will heat up).
COPPER JOINING PARTS
Or soldering setup (this step is really up to you, there are 20 different ways to connect your copper tubing to the stock tank both PVC and copper plumbing parts. This video used a series of copper joints, (male /male), washers (metal and rubber).
METAL DRILL BIT (that is the size of your copper tubing)
METAL POSTS X2
(optional but increases efficiency via insulation)
1. FIND A SPOT
2. LEVEL AND TAMP
3. INSTALL STOCK TANK
4. DRILL TWO HOLES, ONE HIGH, ONE LOW
5. USE METAL RASP TO CLEAN UP HOLE
6. INSTALL COPPER FITTINGS AND SEAL BOTH SIDES OF HOLES WITH CAULK
7. PLACE COPPER TUBING COIL 4 FEET FROM TANK
8. UNCOIL ENDS AND STRETCH UP MAIN COIL
9. SINK TWO METAL STAKES TO HOLD UP COIL
10. USE WIRE TO SECURE COPPER TO STAKES TO SUPPORT COIL IN A SPRING-LIKE WAY.
11. SECURE TOP OF COPPER COIL TO TOP STOCK TANK HOLE AND BOTTOM OF COIL TO BOTTOM HOLE.
12. STACK BRICKS OR ROCKS UP TO INSULATE FIRE PIT (Be sure to leave air holes at the bottom of stack to fuel flames)
13. FILL UP STOCK TANK. CHECK FOR LEAKS
14. COLLECT WOOD
15. LIGHT, STOKE. (water will begin to circulate due to the convectional current in the copper tubing)
16. COVER TANK TO INSULATE
17. WAIT A COUPLE HOURS (STIR WATER EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE TO MIX TEMP LAYERS)
18. ENJOY. Know your limits and make sure water isn’t too hot.