In 1897 C.C. Filson began outfitting prospectors headed for the Gold Rush with tools and apparel strong enough for the toughest spots on earth. More than 100 years later, Filson remains committed to providing pioneers of all fields around the world with unfailing goods made from the highest quality materials available.
Filson recognizes that it takes a world-class team to make a world-class product. As we build on the Filson legacy of American craftsmanship, we are looking for individuals who share our dedication to innovation, excellence, and superior customer service.
The Technical Designer will report to the Technical Services Manager and will have frequent contact with vendors and employees throughout the organization. This position is an integral part of the Production department and will be responsible for communicating clearly all necessary information to a wide variety of departments and vendors in order to produce a high quality garment for production and to our customer, plus other duties as assigned. Must be an excellent team player, and deadline driven.
- Measure and prepare garments from factory for fit sessions. Review all details, noting what is not correct. Assist in fit sessions with live models or dress forms as needed. Ability to see the areas of fit that need correction and know how to do it.
- Identify, document and clearly communicate all necessary information from fittings between departments and factories for pattern, spec, and construction changes using pattern diagrams, photos, or directly working with departments involved for change. This to be done in a timely manner in order to maintain deadlines for factories.
- Help to establish standards for construction and styles, and build a standards book for departments to reference. Send standard books out to factories as needed.
- Review with patternmakers any updates needed to ensure pattern maker is clear on what needs to be improved for production sewing.
- Develop and maintain line flow chart from development through production. Work with other departments to ensure chart is up to date. Help to ensure all deadlines are being met across departments.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Help maintain cutwork for patternmakers, prepare cut packages for sample makers, ensuring all necessary trims and findings are included.
- Work closely with sample makers to ensure they understand correctly the construction, seam allowances, and finish details of garment.
- Help maintain flow of all pre production protos and size runs with factory and patternmakers. Verify execution is correct as requested for all fit, grade, and construction issues.
- Work with freelance patternmakers and graders as needed. Assist as needed to review all incoming patterns from outside sources to ensure they are correct.
- Knowledge or ability to use Gerber/ Accumark computer pattern system a plus.
- Retrieve and plot vendor patterns as needed.
- Work closely with local factory, along with outside factories as needed.
- Support workload within the technical dept and product managers.
- Follow current market trends, especially in regards to fit, construction, and styling to continue to grow within the role as a technical designer.
- Microsoft Office, Excel is a must.
- 5 to 10 years experience, preferably in outerwear, men's and / or women's.
- Expert in construction and fit.
- Gerber, Accumark pattern system experience helpful but not necessary.
- Knowledge of Illustrator helpful but not necessary.
- College degree from fashion program with technical/ patternmaking emphasis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to establish priorities to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Excellent team player essential.
Affectionately known as the "Emerald City", Seattle offers the best in combining a cosmopolitan vibe with a stunning natural backdrop that includes mountains, water, and lush greenery. There is something for everyone - theatre, boating, snow and water skiing, the symphony, gardens, bike paths, technology, micro breweries, fine dining, vibrant neighborhoods, hiking, shopping, fishing, outdoor festivals, and world class markets. Whatever you like, you can do it in Seattle and surrounding areas. Seattle offers all 4 seasons with its oceanic climate - typically not too hot or too cold. With a rainy reputation, it is surprising to note that Seattle typically gets less rain than Boston, New York, or Atlanta. We love our coffee, our ethnic and cultural diversity, and the natural beauty of the area. We are proud to call Seattle home since 1897.