In 1897 C.C. Filson began outfitting prospectors headed for the Gold Rush with tools and apparel strong enough for the toughest spots on earth. More than 100 years later, Filson remains committed to providing pioneers of all fields around the world with unfailing goods made from the highest quality materials available.
Filson recognizes that it takes a world-class team to make a world-class product. As we build on the Filson legacy of American craftsmanship, we are looking for individuals who share our dedication to innovation, excellence, and superior customer service.
Patternmaker Technical Design Specialist - First Pattern
The Patternmaker Technical Design Specialist will report to the Technical Services Manager and will have frequent contact with vendors and employees throughout the organization. This position is an integral part of the Merchandising and Design department and will be responsible for sending 1st patterns through production, interpreting designer sketches with proficiency and creativity, and maintaining the first line of communication to departments and vendors.
- Support technical and product development departments by providing garments to company quality standard, fit, and branding. Advise when needed to improve the garment through fit and construction details.
- Prepare garments from factory for fit sessions by measuring, reviewing all details and noting what is not correct. Take the lead in fit sessions with live models or dress forms as needed. Ability to see the areas of fit that need correction and know how to do it.
- Ability to proactively trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Identify, document and clearly communicate all necessary information between departments and with factories for pattern, spec, and construction changes using pattern diagrams, photos, or directly working with departments involved for change.
- Maintain all cutwork required for samples for sample makers.
- Work closely with sample makers to ensure they understand correctly the construction and finish details of garment. Review with them any updates needed to ensure pattern is improved for production sewing.
- Maintain all pattern files to ensure they are up to date with the latest information. Computer pattern experience a must. Gerber is preferred.
- Review all size runs and factory samples to verify execution is correct as requested for all fit and construction issues.
- Retrieve and plot vendor patterns as needed.
- Work with freelance patternmakers and graders as needed. Review all incoming patterns from outside sources to ensure they are correct.
- Maintain and update sample tracking log, along with correct fit samples and correct construction samples for factory's reference.
- Work closely with local factory, along with outside factories.
- Support workload within the technical dept.
- Follow current market trends, especially in regards to fit, construction, and styling to continue to grow within the role as a patternmaker.
- Microsoft Office, Excel is a must.
- Gerber, Accumark pattern system experience.
- Knowledge of Illustrator helpful but not necessary.
- College degree from fashion program with technical/ patternmaking emphasis.
- 10 + years experience, preferably in outerwear.
- Expert in fits & construction, ability to drape a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills to establish priorities to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
Note: This job description is not meant to be all-inclusive. Employee may be required to perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Affectionately known as the "Emerald City", Seattle offers the best in combining a cosmopolitan vibe with a stunning natural backdrop that includes mountains, water, and lush greenery. There is something for everyone - theatre, boating, snow and water skiing, the symphony, gardens, bike paths, technology, micro breweries, fine dining, vibrant neighborhoods, hiking, shopping, fishing, outdoor festivals, and world class markets. Whatever you like, you can do it in Seattle and surrounding areas. Seattle offers all 4 seasons with its oceanic climate - typically not too hot or too cold. With a rainy reputation, it is surprising to note that Seattle typically gets less rain than Boston, New York, or Atlanta. We love our coffee, our ethnic and cultural diversity, and the natural beauty of the area. We are proud to call Seattle home since 1897.