Director of Public Relations » Seattle Washington
Our history begins in 1897 when C.C. Filson designed Mackinaw Wool apparel and rugged boots to outfit the explorers of the great Klondike Gold Rush. In that era, clothing wasn't a matter of choice but survival. Clinton C. Filson designed and manufactured durable, outdoor clothing for miners, loggers, fishermen, mariners, and explorers who spent time roaming and working the harsh wilderness between Washington and Alaska. He built products with the highest quality materials available and treated his customers with a level of respect and honesty that was truly an innovation of his time.
Over 100 years later, Filson stands by the same guiding principles. When a customer buys a Filson product, they can be confident they have purchased the highest quality product available, guaranteed to withstand the test of time.
Director of Public Relations
The Director of Public Relations will be responsible for directing external and internal communication channels to ensure alignment with Filson’s brand. This role works collaboratively with stakeholders including vendors, clients, staff and outside agencies to design succinct, effective and harmonious communication strategies.
The Director manages external communications including media relations, pursues positive media coverage and promotes Filson’s image, as the premiere luxury manufacturer of outdoor apparel.
This role will report to the VP of Direct Marketing and will be responsible for managing members of the Public Relations function. A successful candidate will have experience working with a luxury brand in a global retail and wholesale environment.
- Lead national public relations in building editorial and communication strategies to enhance brand positioning, product placement, executive interview opportunities and feature stories.
- Develop and lead execution of in-market events, collection and store launch events.
- Manage media relations with business, consumer and press.
- Coordinate with external agencies and vendors on special projects.
- Consult with senior management on public relation strategies to ensure brand image is communicated effectively.
- Serve as media industry expert & share findings as appropriate.
- Provide seasonal and project-oriented competitive analysis reports.
- Oversee and monitor all editorial and international press requests for all national publications, secondary publications and regional publications, as well as proactive pitching.
- Collaborate with the creative team to create compelling press materials and other collateral
- Create and manage annual public relations budget.
- Supervise Public Relations staff to ensure they are achieving their goals and accomplishing day-to-day responsibilities.
- Develop seasonal timelines for press days, market appointments, events, etc.
- Manage reactive and seek out proactive media opportunities.
- Oversee season press releases and all quote requests.
- Manages special projects and various company-wide initiatives.
- Attend key industry events.
- Other duties will be assigned as needed.
- Bachelors degree in public relations, communications, English, journalism, business, marketing. Industry experience may be a substitute.
- 7+ years of experience in fashion public relations.
- 5+ years in management role.
- Experience managing and leading a team.
- Experience working with a luxury brand.
- Effective project management and project execution skills.
- Must be adept at running multiple projects with the ability to change directions quickly and effectively.
- Highly skilled in communication, writing and editing.
- Strong ability to influence others through communications and strategy.
Affectionately known as the "Emerald City", Seattle offers the best in combining a cosmopolitan vibe with a stunning natural backdrop that includes mountains, water, and lush greenery. There is something for everyone - theatre, boating, snow and water skiing, the symphony, gardens, bike paths, technology, micro breweries, fine dining, vibrant neighborhoods, hiking, shopping, fishing, outdoor festivals, and world class markets. Whatever you like, you can do it in Seattle and surrounding areas. Seattle offers all 4 seasons with its oceanic climate - typically not too hot or too cold. With a rainy reputation, it is surprising to note that Seattle typically gets less rain than Boston, New York, or Atlanta. We love our coffee, our ethnic and cultural diversity, and the natural beauty of the area. We are proud to call Seattle home since 1897.