Filson Life guest blogger Dennis Lynch, knows good horses when he sees them. If you're planning on throwing some cash down this Saturday on the Kentucky Derby or just want to be able to "talk shop" at a Derby Party, take some advice from Dennis. We're going with, Bodemister! Let the races begin and best of luck.
International intrigue, rivalries, princesses and paupers all come together this Saturday in Louisville, Kentucky in hopes of grabbing the most sought after prize in thoroughbred racing... The Kentucky Derby.
They spring the latch at 6:24 pm and the hopes and dreams of hundreds will be sailing past the stands along with the horses. The winner gets $1,459,600 out of the total pot of $2,196,500 but that’s not the real prize everyone is after. “Just win, baby” is what it’s all about!
Following are snippets on the 20 horses scheduled to start this Saturday, hopefully enough to increase your appetite for the sport, intrigue and of course the chance at financial gain.
In post position order:
#1 Daddy Long Legs
- Aidan O’Brien , Ireland’s leading trainer brings this guy across the Atlantic, only one race on dirt—busto- probably not
- 79 yr. old 4 time Derby winning trainer D.W. Lukas tries to become the oldest to ever train a Derby winner- I hope he tries next year at 80
#3 Take Charge Indy
- Cajun jockey Calvin “ on the rail”, Borel guides this regally bred colt who is a live longshot- don’t overlook this one
#4 Union Rags
- Mrs Phyliss Weyth a du Pont heiress and JFK intern, who sold this colt once for $145,000 only to find him and buy him back for $390,000 has a true love story going with this colt-Don’t miss this story and he’s going to run “Off the screen”
#5 Dullahan -
Louisville homie, Dale Romans wants this race bad and he has the most “fun loving” group of owners in the field—this one is LIVE
- This once removed name sake of skier Bode Miller, Trainer Bob Baffert named his son after Bode and the horse was named after his son—owned by Asia’s largest non-alcohol beer distributor- big chance here and probable favorite
#7 Rousing Sermon
- California connections headed to Louisville will need a sermon Sunday morning to pick their heads up
#8 Creative Cause
-Beat “Bode” last time –shows up every race- use him!
- Father/son combo team up as trainer/owner respectively, named after their native land of Trinnidad-great story but this guy will be looking for a cab at the head of stretch
#10 Daddy Knows Best
- Top trainer and jock, this is a real sneaky longshot –listen to your Daddy
- Great trainer owner by one of the world’s richest men-money can’t buy everything-looks too skinny
- Florida bred trainer brings this one in from the Sunshine State-possible
#13 Went the Day Well
- Sounds like a British movie starring Anthony Hopkins- owned and trained by last year’s winning owner and trainer-lightning won’t strike twice
-Last years champion, owner tried dying this white horses tail before last race-racing officials said no—they will feel blue after the race
-Top trainer Todd Pletcher brings this undefeated colt into Louisville – he ain’t done nothing wrong!
#16 El Padrino
- Another Todd Pletcher trainee- going the wrong way
#17 Done Talking
- Kinda Cinderella story but this guy is Done Talking and Done Running
-Top trainer in Steve Asmussen but looks overmatched here
#19 I’ll have Another
- Outside post but his guy always shows up-might be bellying up to the bar saying “Ill have another “ after the race
- Bob Baffert or not- stick a fork in him he’s done
Top pick- Union Rags
Best of rest
- Take Charge Indy, Bodemeister, Creative Cause, Daddy Knows Best, Gemologist, I’ll have Another
*these picks are worth exactly what it cost to read them
Have fun, enjoy the spectacle and the beauty of these wonderful animals!