Live chat by BoldChat
  0 Items

Loading Shopping Cart
Total Items: 0 ($0.00)

Filson Survey

Would you be willing to participate in a very brief visitor survey?

(This should take less than a minute)

Thank you...
(X) CLOSE

In Your Words: Shelter Cloth Jacket Travels 2 Million Miles

May 9, 2013
Filed in: Heritage, In Your Words, Travel

ShelterClothJacket-Filson-2‘In Your Words’ explores the incredible stories we’ve received from Filson fans across the globe.  Send us your own experiences with our clothing or product here for a chance to be featured on the Filson Life blog.  David C., an over-road trucker with 22 years of experience, wrote us regarding his Filson jacket which has faithfully served him for over 2 million miles of travel.

I hope you can repair this old friend of mine.  I’m a trucker working with Werner out of Omaha, Nebraska.  I’m at 2.9 million accident free miles, and 2 million of these miles have been with this jacket.  It’s been in blizzards, chaining up trucks, working in -10 degrees or below.  Been in winds in Arizona, rains throughout South Florida and Louisiana,  dust storms — you name it.  It’s been through every state in the lower 48 and in Canada.

ShelterClothJacket-Filson-13This coat has never seen a hanger.  It’s just been wadded up and thrown on the floor, on seats, or on bunks.  I even washed it a few times before I found out you weren’t supposed to.

The jacket’s been through hell and back.  Thrown off flat beds, hit with hail, flood waters, snow, ice, winds, for over 2 million miles.  I would like to get it repaired, so it’ll be with me when — Good Lord protect me — I make 3 million accident free miles.

I bought this jacket at a store in South Dakota which was going out of business in the 1990′s, I’d never heard of Filson.  I saw the jacket, and being his last day in business, the owner gave a me a good discount so I said ‘why not?’  It didn’t impress me initially, out on the road you go through coats like crazy, and I was hoping it’d last a season.  Man was I wrong!  It’s lasted me almost 20 years of everyday use.

ShelterClothJacket-Filson-4This jacket is an old friend, hope you can patch it up.  If you knew all the miles, and things this jacket has been through, you would understand how it became an old friend.  Don’t care about looks, as long as you can fix the jacket with patches, sewing, whatever you need to do.

Rest assured, David’s jacket is being returned to him after a thorough inspection.  While unfit for repairs, Filson is replacing the jacket free of charge.

ShelterClothJacket-Filson-7

12 Comments

• No, no, no. What a terrible story. You should have patched it like he asked you to. Get some scraps of shelter cloth and a sewing machine and just do it.

Posted by Seth Chandler | May 10, 2013 at 12:34 am
  • Repairing is always the first priority, but when the product will not be returned to the customer in a structurally sound state we offer to replace the item for free.

Posted by travis.gillett@filson.com | May 10, 2013 at 9:45 am
  • That still doesn’t make sense. The story is focused around his connection with the jacket, and the experiences in which it’s been most rewarding. If you replace it with a new one, you completely decouple the value of longevity and your product. Surely Filson must have someone who can put some special attention toward repairing this…

Posted by Taylor | May 10, 2013 at 11:57 am
  • There is no one that can fix it? Seriously?

Posted by Erik | June 3, 2013 at 9:13 am
  • Erik,
    This excerpt was taken from initial conversation. This particular situation was resolved in a way that made all parties involved happy. Don’t worry!

Posted by travis.gillett@filson.com | June 3, 2013 at 9:22 am
  • I have a jacket like that one that has been with me for 20+ years and you guys patched it up and I’m getting lots of miles out of it. My son wants mine but I don’t see that you carry this same jacket anymore. Can I get one made?

Posted by dan | June 3, 2013 at 9:32 am
  • I agree, Filson seems to have missed the point. I hope that he found someone else who keep his old friend going.

Posted by Bob | June 3, 2013 at 9:39 am
  • Bob,
    We understand your concern, this excerpt was taken from initial conversation. This particular situation was resolved in a way that made all parties involved happy. Utmost care was taken here.

Posted by travis.gillett@filson.com | June 3, 2013 at 9:42 am
  • worst part is they don’t seem to make that jacket anymore and it is a great one!
    Just the right size and weight. Mine stayed in my truck for years and has spent more time in the rain than other piece of gear I own. i’ve rewaxed it number of times and just love that jacket

Posted by dan | June 3, 2013 at 10:39 am
  • In fairness to Filson, any other company Might have said, “youve had good use Out of your jacket, buy a new one”. But filson didn’t, they replaced it with a new one for free. No other company i know of wOuld ever even dream of offering that. Thats incrediblY good customer service. Most companies don’t even offer a repair service let alone a repAir or replace free of charge. Credit where credit’s due. Filson, Keep doing what you do best, cast iron products with cast iRon post sale customer Service. Don’t let with whims of fashion change what is a heritage brand.

Posted by Tim | October 16, 2013 at 10:00 am
  • What a great, classic jacket … such a shame Filson don’t make it anymore

Posted by edward stainton | May 3, 2014 at 12:33 pm
  • Agreed. I wish Filson had more options for tin cloth jackets in green, rather than all tan

Posted by JAmie | May 11, 2014 at 4:47 am